Next meeting Thursday, January 12, 2017
Loyalist College, Pioneer Building, Room P24
1. Special Guest Speaker
Lola Reid Allin
Topic- Into Kalimantan – (no one has seen these photos; this is a brand new presentation)
Lola is a very dynamic speaker and she has amassed a wonderful collection of compelling images. Here is a little bit of Lola’s background:
Airline Transport Pilot -Dive Master -Activist -Adventurer – Photographer – Mayanist
My varied careers reflect my curiosity about our world. As an airline pilot I accumulated nearly 6000 hours flight time. I studied psychology, genetics, & anthropology (BA Psychology, University of Waterloo). While living in Mexico, I worked as a SCUBA dive master, sold my watercolor paintings to travelers, and conducted weekly lecture/photo travelogues.
My photographs have received numerous Jurors’ Choice and Honors Awards. My published essays & photographs chronicle volunteer work in Guatemala & Kenya (teaching), Kenya & Honduras (medical missions), and Guatemala (seniors’ companion). The National Post, The Globe & Mail, The Toronto Star, The Rotarian Magazine, National Geographic, and The Smithsonian have published my images and articles. I am a Rotarian.
EXHIBITIONS & AWARDS
- Santa Fe Centre for Photography TRAVELS Contest 2015: Honors
- RMG Exposed Juried Show McLaughlin Gallery, Oshawa: 2013 – 2016
- Best Photojournalism/Documentary Image @ RMG Exposed 2016 – Recipient of Portfolio Review by Stephen Bulger Gallery Toronto
- The Rotarian: Annual Photo Contest: 2013 – 2015
- QAC Expressions: 2013 Honors, 2015 (Biannual Juried Show)
- Belleville Art Association Annual Juried Show (Honors; Best Use of Light; Best in Show)
- Parrott Art Gallery: 2014, 2016 (Biannual Juried Show)
- CLiC Annual Juried Show – Since inception 2010 (Honors, Best in Show B&W)
Check out Lola’s website and her Blog
2. Cropping Tutorial
After the break we will finish Mike lesson on the how’s and why’s of cropping.
3. Theme Image Critique
We will finish the evening sharing and critiquing our monthly theme images.
This month’s theme: weather
You can upload your images to our gallery on this website, or bring them in on a USB memory stick. Please refine your image selection down to your best two images.
If bad weather becomes an issue and we need to cancel a meeting I will post a notice on the homepage of this website and all subscribers should automatically receive an email notification as well.