Our November meeting was jam packed with useful information. We had 47 people in attendance!
Presentation – Special Speaker – Tim Blodgett
PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE LAW
Tim came well prepared to share with us about how the law relates to photography.
3 TYPES OF PROPERTY
- Personal Property
- Real Property
- Intellectual Property – The Charter of Rights now protects intellectual property like digital images
COPYRIGHT ACT RSC, 19850, C-45
who has ownership of an image?
- before 2011 – pictures belong to person who pays for it
- after 2011 – property of photographer
refers to the rights to produce, reproduce, sell or license
- automatically belongs to the creator (photographer)
- starts when you take the picture
- ends 50 years after death
- to identify your copyright “© person’s name, year taken”
when someone breaches copyright they may face
- civil liability
- financial penalties
their moral rights – these cannot be licensed or assigned
- is there a reasonable expectation of privacy?
- does the image misrepresent them?
- does the image violate their integrity?
A model release is a contract that falls under Common Law. To be valid it must have:
- Consideration (payment or compensation)
It can be written or oral.
LAW AND SOCIAL NETWORKS
Facebook terms are in privacy and application settings
- permission to display but not sell
- protecting other peoples rights
- agreed not to break copyright law
REAL WORLD APPLICATION
- Privacy – right of privacy – yes or no?
- if in public, you can take picture
- If selling the picture, you should get a Model Release signed
- If for artistic purposes, no Model Release needed
Thank you Tim for all the useful information and answering our questions
Presentation and Tutorial
Photo Critique of members pictures for October Theme
- excellent participation by many members
- check out the images here
- Website is functional and needs our pics.
- sign in will be on the right side of the page
- when you have signed in you will be sent a link through email
- on website you will be able to upload pictures for the monthly themes to Gallery
- image security
- download is disabled
- resolution is low – 1440 pixels wide
- image security
- Unusual Lighting (not daylight or flash)